North Meols Lawn Tennis Club has been established for over a 100 years and our friendly, welcoming atmosphere, picturesque woodland setting and 20 year £500k investment programme has meant the club has become a great attraction to all variety of players, from the keen, competitive and, athletic to the more sociably minded player.
Clubhouse telephone: 01704 227149
Our investment program has focused the earlier improvements on the club’s primary function – playing tennis.
From having five natural grass and three shale courts in 1999, we can now offer eight artificial grass courts three of which have floodlights.
In 2019 we renewed the surface on three of the courts and completed the rejuvenation of the surface of the other five.
This year we have added a new practice wall at the back of one of the courts.
Courts do not need to be booked and the membership fee covers both access to courts and provision of tennis balls, which are available in the clubhouse for senior members to use.
Appropriate tennis attire and footwear must be worn during play.
Our original wooden clubhouse, which served the club since its inauguration over a century ago, has been replaced with a modern comfortable building.
The old club house had been a true “Club” house, in the sense it had loads of character, stood the test of time fairly well and had lots of space for the occasional social event.
The new club house offers the latest in ‘creature comforts’, additional space for social events (we do like a good social event…), and excellent viewing of the tennis courts.
Here’s a few photos showing the transformation as it progressed
Opportunities to play…
During the Summer Season (April to September), the weekly calendar has a healthy mix of competitive and social tennis, alongside the clubs coaching program.
We always maintain a sensible balance when it comes to court usage, keeping courts free at times (for general ‘consumption’) alongside the organised tennis sessions.
Set out below is the general structure of our organised tennis throughout the year, however as there are enough courts to ensure that there are normally courts available at all times for general use, feel free to pop down any time.
Summer playing times:
– Monday, Tuesday & Thursday evenings are 1st & 2nd team match night from 7pm on wards.
– Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday afternoons are social tennis afternoons.
– Wednesday evening is Club night, where all are welcome to come along and join in.
– Friday evenings are Junior Club night (ALL courts are used).
– Junior coaching is held on Tuesday, Thursday & Friday evenings and Sunday mornings, see the Coaching page for details.
– Saturday afternoon is our main club afternoon for social tennis – a great time to come if you’re starting out.
– Sunday morning is our Match Practice, for those wishing a more competitive work-out.
The Winter months also offer a great mix of tennis, with the wind and rain failing to dampen our spirits too much.
Winter playing times:
– Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday afternoons remain as social tennis afternoons.
– Monday evenings and Sunday Mornings are Match Practices, again for those wishing a more competitive work-out.
– Tuesday evenings are Club night.
– Saturday afternoon are still our main club afternoon for social tennis.